Friday, July 19, 2013

"W.D.Y.W.F.M?" by The Neighbourhood

I'm gonna write this review on a pretty, pretty brand new alternative rock band after a long break. Although I still feel the apparent lack of energy to do posts everyday like I did weeks ago, a stunning band which seem to make not only rock music but also some nice hip-hop and rap dressings as well, and I guess this is also apparent from the picture on the right. The Neighbourhood consist of (from left to right) Zach Abels (guitar), Bryan Sammis (drums),  Jesse Rutherford (vocals), Mikey Margott (bass guitar) and Jeremy Freedman (guitar). Now don't let the British spelling of "The Neighbourhood" fool you; they are actually based in Califournia. Or California as we all know it.


Having released two EPs titled "I'm Sorry..." and "Thank You", their first studio album "I Love You." came out just a few months ago, on April 2013 via Columbia Records. With 21-year-old Rutherford in the lead, they are dubbed as one of the fastest rock bands that got popular in almost no time.

Personally I had a chance to try out their latest album and to be honest, no other album amazed me that much since LP's Meteora and that was pretty long ago. Perhaps their success can be attributed to the innate skill of making use of different beats and genres in each song, concocting a brand new style and that is why their style took me back to years ago, to my high school times when I secretly listened to Linkin Park at night over and over.

Since I've been posting entries on marvellous songs, I'm also marvelled by the incredible ideas to stylize these bands in the new age of music, through various means. Apparently, The Neighbourhood stylize themselves with black & white images and videos but not only that. The British spellings also catch the prudent reader's eye.
Anyways, here's my pick - the full title is "What Do You Want From Me?" and it is as strong and beautiful as the other records in the album. The style is pretty apparent and coherent in each and every track.


Pretty, pretty awesome album that. Feel free to support them guys. They are currently touring North America, but they probably know that once they've built a strong fanbase over there, European fans will also be waiting for them with open arms over here.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment